28 August 2011

Threadbare Flea Markets Dot Com

Honestly, I expected there to be far more junk the elderly have left behind sitting around in flea markets. Of course, I only stopped by one, but aside from expired cosmetics, kitschy porcelain kittens, sunglasses of questionable quality, and garden vegetables, I could barely find anything. I did, nevertheless, snatch up a few lackluster items.

The first is a set of two military pins. From what the internet has helped me ascertain, they're grade E-4 and US Marine Corps. Dating them, however, has proven to be difficult. The clutches read "Ballou Reg'd" and "Jandy Reg," which leads me to believe they're from the 1960's, most likely Vietnam.




Otherwise, I also managed to grab a set of English bone china Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec themed tea mugs from Royal Windsor. They're not expensive china, actually relatively cheap, but the set of four was inexpensive and Lautrec is one of my favorite artists, so I couldn't restrain myself. 

They include Aristide Bruant, Jane Avril, La Goulue, and Divan Japonais.


Among other noteworthy things I did not purchase there was an overpriced WWII Good Conduct Medal and a 1940 New Zealand penny with King George VI on the obverse (the latter which I will probably come back for next time, to be honest).

Moral of the story- don't expect much from flea markets, and do your research before opening your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment