02 April 2012

Basement Finds: Photo Slides of Lithuania, Venice, and Berlin 1970-1990.

A few years ago I found a few boxes of slides in my grandmother's basement. From what I gathered, my father (the curly-haired one, as you'll see) likely took the photos during his somewhat younger days in Venice, East Berlin only a year before the fall of the wall, and Soviet Lithuania.

I plugged an old soviet slide projector into a socket one small spark away from total catastrophe and went through every one. Unfortunately, I had no time to get the slides scanned, so I did what was logically the next best thing:


 I stuck a white pillowcase to the wall with safety pins, projected the slides onto it, and took photos with my camera. Some turned out reasonably well. Here they are.


































2 comments:

  1. Oh I like this and especially the one with the fox. That picture with your father (I'm guessing) in the blue car in front of the old ruined building really looks like one place in old Vilnius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly enough- that's not my father. He was behind the lens for most of these (excluding those where he's strumming a guitar and... reclining in a dandelion field). I should really go about asking him where he took these. I'd love to go on a road trip there as well someday.

      Delete